Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Everyone Should Have Been a Communication Studies Major

The week beforehand I received a text message from the pastor of the community center/church I aid, asking me if I would be able to attend a meeting on Missions the coming Wednesday. I replied affirmatively and thought nothing more about it until... I met with my director on Monday and she asked me if I had anything planned for Wednesday. "Yeah....I'm going?" It was then that she informed me of the pastor's expectation for me to have something to say about Missions, something about "how is the church in the US." Okay, I could do that. Strange that he didn't mention it to me.
So Wednesday rolls around and I make it to the church with a couple of lines of notes to give myself some direction for the meeting. I had arrived early and little by little more and more people started trickling in and taking seats in the main sanctuary. "Oh, there must be another event going on at the same time," I thought. No. I was the event. By "meeting" he meant "service". There was a midweek church service about Missions and I was to address the congregation - in Spanish. Good thing I had notes! Haha....ha.
Regardless of my surprise, everything went fine. I went up, made a joke, apologized for my bad Spanish, spoke for a couple of minutes about the church here in the States, received applause and a little gift from the church, and took a seat. They gave me a hot pink scarf! Just in time for summer :D
I'm just glad I don't have stage freight.

1 comment:

  1. That is sooooo crazy!!! Who the heck does that? I'm glad you were able to pull it off!

    ReplyDelete