Sunday, November 22, 2009

Off to Bariloche!

I finally got to Sheilah's house in Bariloche after 23 hours of traveling. My friends Gaby and Gise took me to the bus terminal in Buenos Aires and saw me off at 1:01pm Saturday afternoon. One lunch of three different ham and cheese sandwiches (why???),

a vasito (little cup) of white wine and a thin biscuit-type ham and cheese mini-sandwich (sorry, no pic)






a "picada" of ham and cheese (go figure),















a dinner of "pastel de papa" aka Shephards Pie (thank you! something other than ham and cheese!),

a breakfast of assorted pre-packaged snacks and instant coffee with powdered milk, and finally I'm just outside of town when our bus breaks down.









Everyone had been telling me that the drive into Bariloche from BA is gorgeous, so I had been excited that I had a seat in front with the panoramic window in front of me, until I woke up and saw all the bugs on the window.




I didn't think my camera lense would be able to focus on anything past them. Then of course our bus broke down this morning so we waited a couple of hours and joined another group's bus. I got a back window seat... not exactly the front panoramic I had had before. At least it didn't have bugs all over it.


I knew we had to be within a couple of hours of Bariloche, so I kept waiting for the amazing scenery. So far it had been wide-open brown fields with a cow here, a horse there, and a dead cow every now and then.






After an hour of trying to keep myself awake to see the sights, I finally let myself doze when I hadn't seen anything new yet. I went in and out of that half asleep mode, checking my window for anything good, for about an hour until finally I saw something worth taking a picture of. The pictures gradually get prettier and prettier as I drew nearer and nearer to the beautiful city of Bariloche.

The nature reminded me of Big Bear, a mountain by my home in California. For a part of the drive I felt like I was on my way up to our cabin, but then I saw this -

which Big Bear definately doesn't have.

No comments:

Post a Comment